Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Morgan's Point in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

New Washington

 
 
New Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 28, 2008
1. New Washington Marker
Inscription.  Located at the junction of Buffalo Bayou and San Jacinto Bay, the townsite of New Washington was settled by Col. James Morgan (1786-1866), who bought 1600 acres of land in the area in 1835. A native of Philadelphia, Morgan had come to Texas in 1830 and served at various times and places as merchant, civic leader, and land agent. While away from his home, serving as a colonel during the Texas Revolution, Mexican troops burned the town of New Washington.

After the war, Morgan and others rebuilt New Washington, and the townsite began to flourish. Morgan realized, however, that it could never compete with the growth of nearby Houston, and during the 1850s he began to promote plans for a channel along Buffalo Bayou that would increase the region's trade potential. That dream was completed in 1876 with the dredging of the Houston Ship Channel by steamship tycoon Charles Morgan.

As Houston continued to grow, New Washington was recognized only as a major bend for the ship traffic along the bayou. Now known as Morgan's Point, the townsite was incorporated in 1949 and stands as a reminder of the early commercial history of Harris
New Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 5, 2019
2. New Washington Marker
New Washington Marker on the right
County.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10741.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 29° 40.301′ N, 95° 0.4′ W. Marker is in Morgan's Point, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Wilson Road on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1415 E Main St, La Porte TX 77571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John A. Grimes Memorial Park (a few steps from this marker); Col. James Morgan (a few steps from this marker); The Legend of Emily (Morgan) West (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gribble-Hofheinz House (approx. half a mile away); Governor Ross Sterling Mansion (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bay Ridge / Morgan's Point (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wade and Mamie Irvin House (approx. ¾ mile away); Five Points - The Hub of the City (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgan's Point.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 3, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on January 5, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 7, 2020