Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Female College

1833 - 1889

 
 
The Female College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 12, 2011
1. The Female College Marker
Inscription.  This private institution, although undergoing several trusteeships and name changes, continuously functioned as an exclusive female school for over 50 years. It attracted students from southern states as well as local young ladies. Out of town students boarded with Covington residents. In 1863, the college having been closed due to the War served as a Confederate hospital. Union forces partially destroyed the building. Reopened in 1867, it remained a female college until 1889 when the newly formed Covington City School Commission acquired the property. There was a gradual merging of the Female College, the Male Academy, as well as other Covington scholars. Thus the Covington Public School System was formed.
 
Erected 1996 by Newton County Historical Society Landmark Committee. (Marker Number 16.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 33° 35.75′ N, 83° 51.433′ W. Marker is in Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on College Avenue
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
SE, 0 miles east of Oak Street SE, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located in a park, 50 feet off the road in a group of rocks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Covington GA 30014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Hall (here, next to this marker); Covington City School (here, next to this marker); Swanscombe (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (about 700 feet away); To The Confederate Dead of Newton County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swann Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Covington Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newton County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
 
The Female College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 12, 2011
2. The Female College Marker
The Female College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 12, 2011
3. The Female College Marker
The marker is the left-most in the group of three markers.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50175

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024