Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Berkeley Y.M.C.A.

City of Berkeley Landmark - designated in 1990

— Benjamin G. McDougall, Architect - 1910 —

 
 
Berkeley Y.M.C.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 3, 2011
1. Berkeley Y.M.C.A. Marker
Inscription.  Originating among working class Englishmen in 1844, the Young Men's Christian Association was brought to North America in 1851 to promote a "full and balanced life" through religious devotion and athletic activity. Berkeley's charter organization was established in 1903.

Business and service organizations raised the substantial sum of $118,003 to construct this Georgian Revival style building, designed by the architect of the nearby Shattuck Hotel, on land donated by Rosa M. Shattuck and her estate. The original exterior remains largely intact.

An adjacent 1945 building for post-war USO servicemen's activities was demolished for construction of new residential and gymnasium spaces in 1960, and expanded further in 1994.
 
Erected 2011 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEntertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1844.
 
Location. 37° 52.149′ N, 122° 16.213′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. It is in Downtown Berkeley.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at the intersection of Allston Way and Milvia Street, on the right when traveling west on Allston Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 Allston Way, Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United States Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Land Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Berkeley High School Alumni: Chinaka Hodge, Phil Lesh, Joshua Redman, The Lonely Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Elks Club Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Armstrong College Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker (about 500 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 500 feet away); Berkeley Public Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the front of the building, to the immediate right of the Allston Way entrance.
 
Also see . . .  McDougall Bros. Benjamin G. McDougall (1865-1937) practiced architecture independently, and also with his brothers Charles and George, as part of the family firm of McDougall Brothers. A Guide to Historic Architecture in Fresno provides the story of the McDougall Brothers: "...after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake,
Spirit * Body * Mind - detail above entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 3, 2011
2. Spirit * Body * Mind - detail above entrance
McDougall Bros. closed its Fresno office. Benjamin immediately struck out on his own and built an influential private practice in San Francisco and the East Bay. His most significant Bay Area building was the Oakland Federal Building (1913). George and Charles continued as McDougall Bros. until George was appointed State Architect in 1913. Charles, who had the least success, started his own small practice and shared office space with Benjamin for many years...."
(Submitted on December 9, 2011.) 
 
Berkeley Y.M.C.A. - looking across the Allston/Milvia intersection image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 3, 2011
3. Berkeley Y.M.C.A. - looking across the Allston/Milvia intersection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50295

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024