Pinola in Simpson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Original County Seat of Simpson County
The 1850 census recorded 5 sawmills, 4 grist mills, 3 cotton gins, 2 tanneries, finishing shops, shoemaking, blacksmithing, and 2 saddlery shops. The coming of the railroad in 1900 brought drastic changes in population areas. Westville was to be abandoned but not forgotten. Shortly after Simpson County was organized, a county seat was located and named in honor of Colonel Cato West the site was to be called Westville. The first courthouse was a small log building, then, in 1827, a frame courthouse was erected. In 1844, the courthouse burned and was replaced by a much larger building which was also destroyed by fire in 1872. With all public records being destroyed in this tragic fire, the next courthouse was built of brick and was used until 1906 when the county seat was moved to Mendenhall.
Schools were taught in and around Westville. The first school building was not erected until 1850 "Westville Academy" Henry L Whitfield, later to become governor of Mississippi, served as principal of the school at one time.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 31° 52.062′ N, 89° 56.723′ W. Marker is in Pinola, Mississippi, in Simpson County. Marker is on Old Westville Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pinola MS 39149, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mendenhall (approx. 7.9 miles away); Weathersby and Choctaw Heritage (approx. 8.3 miles away); Sanatorium (approx. 10 miles away); Braxton (approx. 11.3 miles away); Flags Over Simpson County (approx. 11.3 miles away); The Piney Woods School (approx. 13.7 miles away); a different marker also named Piney Woods School (approx. 13.7 miles away); Martha Louise Morrow Foxx (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 141 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 11, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?