Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Presbyterian Church

 
 
Old Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, October 9, 2006
1. Old Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Built 1790 during the pastorate of the Rev. John Miller to replace the earlier log church erected about 1715 on this plot designated as “Meeting House Square”. Presented by the Presbytery to the State of Delaware for a state museum in 1947. Restored in 1949 and 1950 by public subscriptions and with an appropriation from the 115th General Assembly approved by Hon. Elbert N. Carvel, Governor
 
Erected 1950 by Public Archives Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1790.
 
Location. 39° 9.366′ N, 75° 31.602′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from South Governor's Avenue, 0.1 miles south of W North Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located inside the entryway to the Meeting House Gallery 1, an archeological museum located in the Old Presbyterian Church. Touch for map. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at or near this postal address: 316 South Governor's Avenue, Dover DE 19904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel John Haslet (here, next to this marker); John M. Clayton (here, next to this marker); Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Continuity & Progress (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Did you know… (about 400 feet away); Site of Dover's First Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The Capitol Theater (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Golden Fleece Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
Also see . . .  About the Building. (Submitted on January 28, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
The Old Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, October 9, 2006
2. The Old Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,661 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5048

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 19, 2024