Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Critchett Hotel

 
 
The Critchett Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 19, 2011
1. The Critchett Hotel Marker
Inscription.  
160 Washington Avenue
site of
The Critchett Hotel
Built in 1900 - 25 rooms
Often called "Mechanics Hotel"

This was a first class hotel with a splendid dining hall built and owned by Frank Critchett. The land was donated by John Nicholl to provide housing with meeting rooms and shops downstairs for Santa Fe Railroad workers. Local citizens met here in 1905 to organize the City of Richmond. Later called Colorado Rooms.
 
Erected by Point Richmond History Association Project.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 37° 55.584′ N, 122° 23.151′ W. Marker is in Richmond, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Avenue and West Richmond Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 Washington Avenue, Richmond CA 94801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Richmond (a few steps from this marker); The Richmond Supply Company Building
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); First City Hall of Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Women's Westside Improvement Club (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Sentinel" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Our Lady of Mercy Church (about 400 feet away); By Land and By Sea (approx. 0.4 miles away); El Toro (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  A Brief History of Point Richmond. The Point Richmond History Association's brief history of the community, written by Donna Roselius. On the settlement of Point Richmond, "... The boomtown, now officially part of the mainland town of Richmond, grew faster than buildings could be built. Tents provided temporary housing for Santa Fe and Standard Oil workers while hastily constructed hotels and boarding houses popped up from semi-solid land. The first really permanent building was the Critchett Hotel, at the corner of West Richmond and Washington Avenues (now the site of the Point Richmond Market)...." (Submitted on December 14, 2011.)
The Critchett Hotel (date unknown) image. Click for full size.
0610-DC, Courtesy of the Point Richmond History Association
2. The Critchett Hotel (date unknown)
 
 
The Point Richmond Market - site of the former Critchett Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 27, 2011
3. The Point Richmond Market - site of the former Critchett Hotel
The marker is visible here mounted to the right of the entrance to the market.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 14, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50483

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024