Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Glarus in Green County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

New Glarus

 
 
New Glarus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, July 27, 2007
1. New Glarus Marker
Inscription.  In 1845 the Emigration Society of the Canton of Glarus, Switzerland, sent Nicholas Duerst and Fridolin Streiff to the United States to purchase land for a Swiss settlement. They were joined in August by 108 settlers who began their homesteads on 1,280 acres of farm and timber land bordering the Little Sugar River. The first years were hard and it was not until April 1850 that the town was organized. Then New Glarus began to prosper; in 1851 the first store opened, in 1853 the first hotel and in 1870 the first cheese factory. By 1892 the population had increased to 600. The culture of Old Glarus has not been forgotten; the Swiss-German dialect is still spoken and the traditional holidays are observed.
 
Erected 1961 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 110.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
 
Location. 42° 48.922′ N, 89° 37.943′ W. Marker is in New Glarus, Wisconsin, in Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and 5th Avenue, on the right when
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
traveling north on Railroad Street. Marker is along the Sugar River State (bicycle) Trail, near the historic New Glarus Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 418 Railroad Street, New Glarus WI 53574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Herbert O. Kubly (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Lead Road (approx. 2 miles away); Primrose Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away); Nickolaus Gerber (approx. 5.2 miles away); Lake Montesian (approx. 5.2 miles away); Early Belleville / Library Park (approx. 5.9 miles away); Green's Prairie Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Robert M. La Follette: The Early Years (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Glarus.
 
New Glarus and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, July 27, 2007
2. New Glarus and Marker
New Glarus image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, July 27, 2007
3. New Glarus
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,392 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5052

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024