Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nashville in Berrien County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Flat Creek Mills

 
 
Flat Creek Mills Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, circa 1993
1. Flat Creek Mills Marker
Inscription.  Flat Creek Mills was a trading post and election precinct many years before the present Berrien County was created in 1856. Officers of the new county were sworn in here, and there being no court house, the first Inferior Court was held here in the unfinished barn of W.D. Griffin, owner of the mills at that time. The next year the barn was finished and in use so court was held across the Creek in the home of Mr. Ham who moved his beds and other furniture out for the purpose.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 010-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 31° 16.326′ N, 83° 14.378′ W. Marker was near Nashville, Georgia, in Berrien County. Marker was at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 129) and Flat Creek Church Road, on the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Nashville GA 31639, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Old Coffee Road (approx. 4˝ miles away); "Spirit of the American Doughboy" (approx. 4˝ miles away); The War Between the States (approx. 4.6 miles away); Berrien County (approx. 4.6 miles away); Indian Fights (approx. 4.6 miles away); Harrison-Taylor House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bank of Alapaha (approx. 7.6 miles away); Adel Lime Sink (approx. 14.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
 
More about this marker. The marker was confirmed standing in 2002. The text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
Flat Creek Mills Marker Post image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Flat Creek Mills Marker Post
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 15, 2015, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.   2. submitted on December 15, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50534

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024