St. Petersburg in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
S. H. Kress and Co. Building
placed on the
By the United States
Department of the Interior
Built 1927 ♦ Restored 2000
Erected 2001. (Marker Number 01001057.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 27° 46.279′ N, 82° 38.402′ W. Marker is in St. Petersburg, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue North and Central Avenue, on the right when traveling north on 5th Avenue North. The marker is mounted on the building's exterior, at its southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 475 Central Avenue, Saint Petersburg FL 33701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Heroes of the World War (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pinellas County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); The United States Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); John C. Williams (approx. Brigadier General Thaddeus Kosciuszko (approx. 0.2 miles away); Soreno Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Mary, Our Lady of Grace Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Petersburg.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Great Seal of the United States.
Regarding S. H. Kress and Co. Building. Built in 1927 as part of the S. H. Kress & Co. department store chain, the four-story, 39,000-square-foot building was designed in the Beaux Arts style. The structure was listed with the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 2001.
Additionally, the Kress building is a Contributing Structure within the Downtown St. Petersburg Historic District (a National Historic District).
The Kress company went out of business in 1981. The building continues to function as a retail/commercial property. At the time of this marker's entry in the database, the Kress building houses an oriental rug gallery. In September, 2011, it was announced that a restaurant will also be opening in the building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 505 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 16, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.