Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Margaret in St. Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Margaret

 
 
Town of Margaret Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, December 19, 2011
1. Town of Margaret Marker
Inscription.  Margaret traces its roots to the Alabama Fuel & Iron Company, which organized in the early 1900s and developed Margaret coal mines under the leadership of its president Henry F. DeBardeleben. Named after DeBardelebenís wife Margaret, the town was incorporated in 1959. Margaretís history includes a school system led by Superintendent C. C. Garrison. Principals of the system included Mr. S. J. Dillard and Mrs. Eddie Lee Turnbough Franks. Margaretís first mayor was F. B. Carroll followed L. B. Wilson. In 1967, Mayor Doc Mitchell oversaw the organization of the Margaret Fire Department. In the early 1970s, under the leadership of Mayor Johnny “Sonny” Wilson, the town secured its water system. As the end of the 20th century Margaret experienced abundant growth as many families chose the town as their home. As a result of this growth, Margaret established a new school system under the direction of the St. Clair County Board of Education. Margaretís motto, “Dawn of a New Horizon,” coined by fifth-term Mayor Jeffrey G. Wilson, provides an accurate account of the townís past, present, and its unlimited future possibilities.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Margaret. (Marker Number None.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1959.
 
Location. 33° 41.117′ N, 86° 28.525′ W. Marker is in Margaret, Alabama, in St. Clair County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Main Street in front of the city park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Margaret AL 35112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Massey Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Cahaba Heart River of Alabama (approx. 5 miles away); Liberty Church, School, and Graveyard (approx. 5 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away); Wear Cemetery (approx. 6Ĺ miles away); First Baptist Church Of Springville (approx. 6.7 miles away); Clay Methodist Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Clay Community (approx. 7.4 miles away).
 
Town of Margaret Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, December 19, 2011
2. Town of Margaret Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,172 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50759

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024