La Marque in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Paul's Union Church
Established about 1895 by Laura Stewart and Julia Parr Munson. This Church is distinguished by a history of strong community involvement. The congregation has been led by various Methodist, Presbyterian, and other protestant clergy and has served an interdenominational congregation throughout its history.
The site of the original church building destroyed in the 1900 storm became a cemetery in which many of the storm's victims were buried. Services were held at B. F. Ayers' home until a new structure was built adjacent to the cemetery about 1913. The church incorporated as La Marque Union Protestant Church in 1927.
A new sanctuary was completed in 1933 with the help of Mrs. Paul Naschke. Her financial assistance was extended on the condition the church be named after her late husband. A well-known local photographer and contributor to church affairs. The church was renamed Paul's Union Church in 1933. Various community groups, including La Marque's Garden Club and its civic club used church facilities.
Led by a devoted clergy the church was able to support a missionary to South America, aid victims of the
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7542.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 29° 21.817′ N, 94° 57.303′ W. Marker is in La Marque, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Oak Street north of Apricot Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1709 Oak St, La Marque TX 77568, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frank Bell Jr. (approx. 1.1 miles away); La Marque (approx. 1.2 miles away); 1887 Frank Sr. and Flavilla Bell House (approx. 1.9 miles away); 1926 Frank, Jr. and Ollie Caldwell Bell House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Settlement Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); The 1867 Settlement Historic District (approx. 1.9 miles away); Phillips Memorial Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Phillips Memorial Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Marque.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,887 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. 2. submitted on November 11, 2020, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on February 4, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. 5. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.