Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cedarburg in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hamilton Turnhalle

1867

 
 
Hamilton Turnhalle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, December 27, 2011
1. Hamilton Turnhalle Marker
Inscription.  The Hamilton Turnhalle, a fieldstone building trimmed with cut limestone quoins, lintels and sills, was constructed by local farmers and merchants in 1867. Edward Janssen was the contractor.

The last remaining turner hall of its type in the United States, it served as a combination meeting place and gymnasium for members of the Hamilton "Turnverein" society for more than twenty years. When the society disbanded, the building saw use as a shoe factory and later a cider mill; however, neither use proved to be economically feasible and the building fell into disrepair.

The Turnhalle was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1976. It was donated to the Town of Cedarburg and the Cedarburg Landmark Preservation Society by Adelaide B. Miller. Funds for restoration were provided by a combination of donations from local citizens and a matching grant from the National Park Service obtained throug the State Historical Society of Wisconsin.

Cedarburg Landmark Preservation Society, Inc.
May 1, 1982
 
Erected 1982 by Cedarburg Landmark Preservation Society,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1877.
 
Location. 43° 17.067′ N, 87° 58.354′ W. Marker is in Cedarburg, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker is on Hamilton Road, 0.1 miles north of Green Bay Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 236 Hamilton Road, Cedarburg WI 53012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamilton (within shouting distance of this marker); Ancient Paths (within shouting distance of this marker); Concordia Mill (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Avenue Historic District / Historic District Architecture (approx. one mile away); Cedarburg Cultural Center Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cedarburg Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away); The History of the Boerner Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Origin of Cedar Creek / Mills on the Creek (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedarburg.
 
Hamilton Turnhalle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, December 27, 2011
2. Hamilton Turnhalle Marker
with National Register marker
Hamilton Turnhalle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, December 27, 2011
3. Hamilton Turnhalle
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 576 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51002

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024