LaSalle in LaSalle County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
La Salle-Peru, Illinois
Jolliet first noted the desirability of a canal connecting Lake Michigan to the Mississippi via the Illinois. In 1825 the Illinois and Michigan Canal Association was incorporated and in 1836 the Internal Improvement Act which included a provision for a north-south railroad through Illinois was passed by the legislature. The convergence of these important transportation facilities in this area encouraged further settlement. Peru, organized in 1834, was incorporated in 1838. Activity eventually shifted to LaSalle, since the boat basin of the canal and the railroad routes were finally located there. Settled as early as 1830, LaSalle was not incorporated until 1852.
Erected 1988 by Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 19.981′ N, 89° 5.479′ W. Marker is in LaSalle, Illinois, in LaSalle County. Marker is on 5th Street (U.S. 6) west of Crosat Street, on the right when traveling west. Located in Pulaski Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1034 5th Street, La Salle IL 61301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. Paul Carus / Dr. Daisetz Teitaru Suzuki (approx. 0.3 miles away); LaSalle City Hall-1906 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cherry Mine Disaster (approx. 9.2 miles away); James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok (approx. 9.2 miles away); Isam W. Seaton (1823-1903) and James H. Seaton (1828-1913) (approx. 9.8 miles away).
Also see . . . History - Development of the Illinois Valley. City of LaSalle (Submitted on December 29, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Topics. This marker is included in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2020. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 861 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.