Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Campo in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Campo Stone Store

 
 
Campo Stone Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
1. Campo Stone Store Marker
Inscription.  The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store which was raided on December 4, 1875, by border bandits. This fort-like replacement of summer, 1885, was bought in 1896 by E.T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1889, and operated by Henry Marcus Johnson as the Mountain Commercial Company until 1925. In disrepair, it was bought after 1938 by E.M. Statler, given to San Diego County, and restored, 1943-48, as a museum.
 
Erected 1986 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Deigo County Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 411.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1818.
 
Location. 32° 36.542′ N, 116° 28.466′ W. Marker is in Campo, California, in San Diego County. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on Campo Road (California Route 94 at milepost 50.6), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 Campo Road, Campo CA 91906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Camp Lockett (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hatfield – The Rainmaker (approx. 6.1 miles away); Buckman Springs (approx. 10.3 miles away).
 
Campo Stone Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
2. Campo Stone Store Marker
Campo Stone Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
3. Campo Stone Store
Campo Stone Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
4. Campo Stone Store
Old Campo Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 18, 2009
5. Old Campo Store
Dedicated to the Pioneers of San Diego County. Built in 1868 by L.H. and S.E. Gaskill. Historic Stone Store - Post Office - Bank and Stage Station. Scene of Famous Bandit Raid December 5, 1875. Donor - Ellsworth M. Statler. Restored by San Diego County Board of Supervisors 1943-48. California State Historical Association. San Diego Historical Society. Sons and Daughters of the Golden West. May 9, 1948.
Campo Road (California Route 94) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
6. Campo Road (California Route 94)
Campo Road (California Route 94) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, April 5, 2009
7. Campo Road (California Route 94)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 30, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 4, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51087

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024