Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Goshen Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center

 

— Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry —

 
John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
1. John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center Marker
Inscription.  
John H. Ware 3rd
August 29, 1908 – July 29, 1997

B.S. University of Pennsylvania; Chairman Penn Fuel Gas, Inc.; Former Burgess; Elected three terms to Pennsylvania Senate; Chairman, Republican Finance Committee of PA; Trustee, Lincoln University, University of Pennsylvania, Ursinus College, and Widener University; Chairman, American Water Works, Inc.; Past District Governor; Elected to Congress; Numerous Civic, Charitable, Church, and Public Service Activities; Husband, Father, Grandfather, and Great Grandfather
 
Erected by Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 29, 1775.
 
Location. 39° 59.862′ N, 75° 32.457′ W. Marker is in East Goshen Township, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker can be reached from Paoli Pike, on the right when traveling east. This marker
John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center Front Entry image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
2. John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center Front Entry
Click or scan to see
this page online
is on the front of the building just off of the circle, with a flagpole at the center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Paoli Pike, Malvern PA 19355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goshenville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Milltown/Hickman Plank House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Goshenville Blacksmith and Wheelwright Shops (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rocky Hill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Historic Sugartown (approx. 1.8 miles away); Goshen Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Milltown Springhouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Massacre Farm / 19th Century House (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Goshen Township.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .
1. John H. Ware III – Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. U.S. Congress: John Haines Ware, III. (Submitted on December 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional commentary.
1. A brief history of this area:
The rolling hills and picturesque vistas, in this area were land formerly known as "Applebrook Farm". Robert Williams was the original owner of this fertile farmland, located just outside the Historic village of Goshenville, Pennsylvania. (On the National Register
John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
3. John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center
of Historic Places) Robert Williams was the first settler in Goshen. The land was deeded to Him in 1680 from William Penn, and it is one of the earliest Penn Land Grants in Chester County. The original Williams homestead, circa 1702 and its Clocktower, still stands as a residence nearby on East Boot Road, (once known as Clocktower Road). In 1715 the entire farm was acquired by Samuel Garrett. The Garrett family retained ownership of the land until 1900. The fieldstone house pictured here was built by Garrett’s descendants. The house has been renovated to serve as a meeting place for the Chester County Chamber of Business and Industry. It was named in Honor of prominent Chester County citizen, John H. Ware. The dairy barn on this property has also been renovated and is being used as the Applebrook Golf Course Superintendent’s headquarters. The East Goshen Historic Commission believes the name Applebrook may have originated from Samuel Horner who purchased the property in 1913.
    — Submitted December 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
 
John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
4. John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center
The vista from the Commerce Center entry door image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
5. The vista from the Commerce Center entry door
Clock Tower on Original Farm in Goshenville image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
6. Clock Tower on Original Farm in Goshenville
John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith S Smith, December 22, 2011
7. John H. Ware 3rd, Commerce Center
John H. Ware 3rd image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of the University of Pennsylvania Alumni Association
8. John H. Ware 3rd
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 29, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.   8. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51111

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 2, 2022