Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Viola in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

North Murderkill Hundred

 
 
North Murderkill Hundred Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, December 29, 2011
1. North Murderkill Hundred Marker
Inscription.  Formerly part of Murderkill Hundred, originally called Motherkill Hundred, kill meaning creek in Dutch. Original boundaries were St. Jones Creek on north, and Murderkill Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1867, Murderkill Hundred was divided into two hundreds named North Murderkill Hundred and South Murderkill Hundred.
 
Erected 1966 by Public Archives Commission. (Marker Number K-15.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location. 39° 2.263′ N, 75° 33.567′ W. Marker is in Viola, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Rt. 13. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Felton DE 19943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Immigrant Jewish Farmers (approx. 1.8 miles away); Rescue House of Prayer (approx. 2.1 miles away); Felton Railroad Station (approx. 2.1 miles away); Captain Jonathan Caldwell
North Murderkill Hundred image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, December 29, 2011
2. North Murderkill Hundred
As seen from the highway Rt. 13.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Honor and Remember (approx. 2.2 miles away); Town of Felton (approx. 2.2 miles away); Geographic Center of Delaware (approx. 2.3 miles away); Samuel D. Burris (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 746 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 29, 2011, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51113

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022