Kelly Lake near Hibbing in Saint Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Moving the Town
They would then have to arrange to move them at their own expense. Many businesses were also moved.
It was quite an achievement considering the equipment available in the 1920's and 1930's. Not all the buildings survived the journey.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 47° 26.696′ N, 92° 56.39′ W. Marker is near Hibbing, Minnesota, in Saint Louis County. It is in Kelly Lake. Marker is on Lincoln Street east of 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling east. Marker can be reached from Greyhound Boulevard/3rd Avenue East. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hibbing MN 55746, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Business District (here, next to this marker); Frank Hibbing (here, next to this marker); Schools (here, next to this marker); Carnegie Library (here, next to this marker); Oliver Club (here, next to this marker); Finnish Workers Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver Mining Co. Headquarters / Oliver Shop Laboratory (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Train Depot / Street Car Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hibbing.
Regarding Moving the Town. The nearby Hull-Rust Mine began mining operations in 1896. The Village of Hibbing grew up near this mine pit. In 1918 all the buildings in the northern section of town were mounted on steel wheels and moved two miles to the south to make room for the mine's expansion.
Additional keywords. North Hibbing
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,908 times since then and 118 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 3, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 4, 5. submitted on February 5, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.