La Porte in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Mary's Seminary
St. Mary's Seminary was located at this site in La Porte's Sylvan Beach Hotel, once a majestic resort center, which had been heavily damaged in the 1900 hurricane. Over the years, increased enrollment necessitated the construction of additional facilities. Under the leadership of the Rev. James Kirwin, who served as president from 1911 until his death in 1926, St. Mary's became nationally known for its academic excellence. In 1926, the seminary was awarded university status, with the right to confer academic degrees. Many of its alumni, including more than 6 who became bishops, have served as prominent church leaders.
In 1954, the school relocated to Houston and eventually merged with St. Thomas University in that city. The chapel
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10760.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 29° 39.352′ N, 95° 0.598′ W. Marker is in La Porte, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on North Bayshore Drive 0.1 miles north of North Circle Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 816 Park Drive, La Porte TX 77571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. La Porte's Original Library (approx. ¼ mile away); The La Porte-Sylvan Beach Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Sylvan Beach Pavilion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Five Points - The Hub of the City (approx. 0.8 miles away); La Porte (approx. 0.9 miles away); First City Hall and Jail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Besson Building (approx. one mile away); Gribble-Hofheinz House (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Also see . . .
1. Saint Mary's Seminary. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. History of St. Marys Church (Submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.