Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 51.307′ N, 77° 5.32′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Glebe Road (Virginia Route 120) and South Walter Reed Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Glebe Road. Marker is near South 17th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mt. Zion Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Roland Herman Bruner (approx. ¼ mile away); Travers Family GraveyardMacedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Barnard (approx. half a mile away); Drew School (approx. half a mile away); Hunter's Crossroads (approx. half a mile away); Origins (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Berry.
1. Fort Berry Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Named for Major General Hiram George Berry of the 4th Maine Infantry, killed at Chancellorsville, Virginia on May 2, 1863. The fort stood at the intersection of 16th and Monroe Streets. The officers quarters stood near 3225 17th Street. Between Forts Barnard and Richardson, Fort Berry served to fill a gap in the defenses north of Four-Mile Run. Several entrenchments and two batteries covered the ground south of Fort Berry extending to Fort Barnard.
Within the 215 yard perimeter were 10 gun emplacements. Armament included two 8-inch howitzers and two 4.5in siege rifles. Units garrisoning the fort during the war included
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 3,138 times since then and 175 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. 3. submitted on June 16, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.