Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 50.272′ N, 77° 5.644′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on South 31st Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is just east of South Woodrow Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Garesché (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmund Douglas Campbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 4 (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. half a mile away); Fairlington (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Reynolds.
1. Fort Reynolds Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Named for General John F. Reynolds, killed in action at Gettysburg on July 1, 1863. It was originally named Fort Blenker after Brig. Gen. Louis (Ludwig) Blenker, commander of the troops who built the fort in 1861. The fort covered Four Mile Run. The site of the fort is now an apartment complex at the 4500 block of 31st Street (the city of Arlington attempted to preserve the works in the 1950s but failed).
With a perimeter of 360 yards and 12 gun emplacements, the fort was armed with four 32-pdr guns, four 12-pdr howitzers, three 30-pdr Parrott rifles, one 10-inch mortar and two 24-pdr mortars. magazines were placed in the ravine behind the fort. Units garrisoning the fort included the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery, 124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and the 166th Ohio National Guard.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,440 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.