Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sonora in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Tuolumne County Courthouse

1898

 
 
Tuolumne County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
1. Tuolumne County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  In 1854, Tuolumne County’s first courthouse was erected on this site donated to the county by John and Israel P. Yaney.

The cornerstone of the present courthouse, which replaced it, was dedicated September 26, 1898, at ceremonies held under the auspices of Tuolumne Lodge No.8, Free and Accepted Masons. This building was occupied by county officers on November 10, 1899.

Board of Supervisors
John B. Doyle, Chairman
Henry M. Pease • John M. Phelan • James P Hardin • Thomas A. Hender
William Mooser & Son, Architect
Charles F. McCarthy, Contractor

 
Erected 1971 by Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors and the Tuolumne County Historical Society. (Marker Number 01-1971.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsNotable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is September 26, 1852.
 
Location. 37° 59.117′ N, 120° 23.047′ W. Marker is in Sonora, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker can be reached from West Yaney Avenue north of North Green Street.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is mounted on the front of the building to the right of the lower level entrance doors. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 W Yaney Ave, Sonora CA 95370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tuolumne County Albert N. Francisco Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the First Office of The Union Democrat (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Site of the Sonora Daily (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Sonora IOOF Lodge No. 10 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); -Yo- Semite House (about 300 feet away); A Portal of the Past (about 600 feet away); First Home of Wells Fargo & Company in Sonora (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonora.
 
Also see . . .  Welcome to Historic Sonora. The Tuolumne County Courthouse, still very much in use, is a great example of yesteryear. The seats in the courtrooms have hat racks underneath. The wooden bannisters, the black and white tiny tiled floors. (Submitted on June 16, 2010.) 
 
Tuolumne County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
2. Tuolumne County Courthouse Marker
Tuolumne County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
3. Tuolumne County Courthouse
Courthouse Clock Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
4. Courthouse Clock Tower
Architectural Detail of Railing on Second Level image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
5. Architectural Detail of Railing on Second Level
"Golden" Doors of the Main Entrance - Located on the Second Level image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
6. "Golden" Doors of the Main Entrance - Located on the Second Level
Tuolumne County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Tuolumne County Historical Society
7. Tuolumne County Courthouse
The Court House Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
8. The Court House Square
Small park located next to the Courthouse.
Court House Square Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
9. Court House Square Dedication Marker
In honor of Frank J. Ralph, loyal son of old Tuolumne, faithful public servant, ardent lover of nature, who designed and created this restful spot known as The Court House Square for the pleasure and enjoyment of future generations. Dedicated by County of Tuolumne as a living memorial to a worthy son, 1948.
Tree in the Courthouse Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Kindig, May 21, 2011
10. Tree in the Courthouse Square
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,128 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on January 13, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   7. submitted on June 18, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   8, 9. submitted on June 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.   10. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51574

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024