New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the St. Charles Theaters
The second St. Charles opened January 18, 1843 and seated over 1,500. Some of the greatest actors of the 19th century played here; Joe Jefferson, Edwin Booth and Charles Keane. Great musicians who appeared here included Ole Bull, Henri Vieuxtemps, Jenny Lind, Henrietta Sontag and Adelina Patti. This burned June 4, 1899.
The third St. Charles opened in 1902 and was part of the Orpheum Vaudeville Circuit. Sarah Bernhardt make her final local appearance here and Rosa Ponselle her first. It was demolished in 1967.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music.
Location. 29° 56.995′ N, 90° 4.218′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 490 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafayette Square (about 500 feet away); Whitney National Bank (about 600 feet away); Kossuth (about 600 feet away); Bank’s Arcade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Le Pavillon Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lambert-Gallier Inn of Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bienville's Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 563 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.