Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 50.311′ N, 77° 5.835′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Abingdon Street and South 30th Road, on the right when traveling south on South Abingdon Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22206, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Reynolds (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmund Douglas Campbell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. half a mile Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 4 (approx. half a mile away); Rifle Trench (approx. half a mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 5 (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Welcome to Jennie Dean Park (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Battery Garesché.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Julius Peter Garesché, U.S. Army. (Submitted on March 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. Battery Garesche Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
The fort stood at the east corner of 30th Road and South Abingdon Street. It was named for Colonel Julius Peter Garesche, killed at the Battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee on December 31, 1862. The battery was built to cover a blind spot of nearby Fort Reynolds. In addition Blockhouse No. 3, standing near what is today 3033 South Columbus Street, covered the same blind spot.
The battery had a perimeter
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,640 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. 3. submitted on March 27, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.