Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
California Hot Springs in Tulare County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

California Hot Springs

 
 
California Hot Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Denise Boose, December 31, 2011
1. California Hot Springs Marker
Inscription.  The first people to use the hot springs were the Bokninuwad Yokuts also called "Hoeynche" who called it "Kahtililkau" hot water. In the late 1870's T.J. and N.B. Witt filed claim to Upper Deer Creek "Hoyen Idik" which included the several hots springs. They were then known as the Deer Creek Hot Springs. By 1880 the Witt Family had developed small bathhouses and camping area and charged for their use. They sold the Springs and 300 acres in 1889 after that it sold several more times. During that time the name became California Hot Springs and was praised far and wide for its health benefits. In 1904 a large hotel was built called the Del Venado. It burned in 1932, but within two years new facilities were built. The names of Firebaugh, Pike, Wingrove, Mitchell, Williams, Newbury, and Baxter show as owners over the years until a disastrous fire in 1968 destroyed the resort buildings, leaving only the dance hall, swimming pool and a few rental cabins. In the 1980's the Gilbert family purchased what remained and with great effort brought it back to what it is today, an active successful resort.

 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2011 by Dr. Samuel Gregg George 
Chapter 1855 of E. Clampus Vitus.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural ResourcesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 35° 52.831′ N, 118° 40.171′ W. Marker is in California Hot Springs, California, in Tulare County. Marker is on Hot Springs Drive (Route M-56), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 42177 Hot Springs Drive, California Hot Springs CA 93207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lavers Crossing (approx. 10.4 miles away); Glennville Adobe (approx. 10.8 miles away); Tailholt (approx. 10.9 miles away); Roads End (approx. 11 miles away); Lynn’s Bull Road (approx. 12 miles away); Welcome to the Tule River Indian-Reservation (approx. 12.9 miles away); Tule River Indian Reservation (approx. 12.9 miles away); Woody (approx. 15.3 miles away).
 
California Hot Springs Resort and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Denise Boose, December 31, 2011
2. California Hot Springs Resort and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 1,232 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=51871

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024