Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Major General - United States Army
Occupied this site 1861
He is credited witih inventing the game of baseball in 1835.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Sports • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 39° 35.94′ N, 77° 49.513′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Salisbury Street and Commerce Street, on the left when traveling west on Salisbury Street. Marker is at the base of the hill, next to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Doubleday Hill (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Doubleday Hill (a few steps from this marker); Light's Ford and Lemen's Ferry (a few steps from this marker); The C&O Canal in the Civil War at Williamsport (within shouting distance of this marker); River View Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boats Passing By (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Williamsport (about 600 feet away); The C&O Canal in Williamsport (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
More about this marker. Marker was at the top of Doubleday Hill, as shown in the photos from 2011. Sometime by 2016 it was moved closer to the intersection at the bottom of the hill.
1. Doubleday and Baseball
This marker text to the contrary, Abner Doubleday did not invent baseball. He may never have even thought about baseball - at the least he doesn't seem to have ever mentioned it. David Block's 2005 book "Baseball Before We Knew It" deals with the Doubleday myth and the origins of baseball.
— Submitted January 22, 2012, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2012, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3. submitted on June 30, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on January 22, 2012, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.