Sharon in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
1818 ~ 1819
The Earliest known school in the Blairsville Area was one headed by R.Y. Russell. Conducted in a converted corn crib on the farm of James Hogg, about one mile from this site.
1830 ~ 1867
About 1830 Rev. Aaron Williams, Pastor of the Bullock’s Creek Orthodox Presbyterian Church, established an academy near this site. The school, later known as the Blairsville Academy was headed by Rev. R.Y. Russell, Pastor of the Independent Presbyterian Church from about 1855 to 1860. Several others succeeded Russell to 1867.
1867 ~ 1924
The Blairsville School was operated on various sites in the area from 1867 to the development of the
Public School System. In 1904 William Beard was contracted to build a new school on this site. With later additions it continued to 1924 when it was consolidated with the Sharon School, this school. This school has been restored and is presently located on the campus of the Hickory Grove ~ Sharon School.
the Athena Club of Sharon erected a marker about 1970 to commerate the Blairsville School. After the marker
Erected 2000 by Broad River Basin Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is March 2000.
Location. 34° 54.363′ N, 81° 21.47′ W. Marker is in Sharon, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Lockhardt Road (State Highway 49) and Wilson Chapel Road (County Road 46-1106), on the left when traveling south on Lockhardt Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon SC 29742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dickey - Sherer House (approx. 0.8 miles away); First National Bank of Sharon (approx. 3.3 miles away); Town of Sharon / Sharon (approx. 3.4 miles away); Town of Sharon Stone Marker (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lacey's Fort (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bullock Creek Revolutionary War Monument (approx. 4˝ miles away); Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Hickory Grove Schools (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 1, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.