Superior in Douglas County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Summer White House - 1928
Superior Central High School was designated the official White House Offices for the presidential party and served in that capacity from June 15, 1928 until September 10, 1928.
On July 16, 1928, President Coolidge welcomed presidential nominee Herbert Hoover to the area. The Superior visit was Mr. Hoover's first public appearance after his nomination. From the steps of Central High, President Coolidge announced his support of Hoover's candidacy to crowds of newsmen, visitors, and area residents. Hoover had taken a firm stand in favor of the Great Lakes Waterway and was hailed as the obvious choice for the presidency.
During his stay here, President Coolidge also found time to fish on the Brule River, one of America's most famous trout streams.
Erected 1975 by Wisconsin Historical Society
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 46° 43.515′ N, 92° 6.073′ W. Marker is in Superior, Wisconsin, in Douglas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of John Avenue and North 11th Street. The marker is on display in the Coolidge Exhibit at the Douglas County Historical Society. Pictures provided by DCHS. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1101 John Ave, Superior WI 54880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The University of Wisconsin-Superior (approx. 0.8 miles away); S.S. Meteor (approx. 1.8 miles away); Old Stockade Site (approx. 2½ miles away); Rice's Point (approx. 3½ miles away in Minnesota); Oneota (approx. 3.6 miles away in Minnesota); Enger Observation Tower (approx. 3.7 miles away in Minnesota); Rotary Club of Duluth 100th Anniversary (approx. 3.7 miles away in Minnesota); Japanese Peace Bell Garden (approx. 3.7 miles away in Minnesota). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Superior.
More about this marker. This marker was originally located in front of Superior Central High School, 1015 Belknap St. The school was demolished in 2004, despite preservation attempts. The marker was moved to the Douglas County Historical Society.
Also see . . . Douglas County Historical Society. (Submitted on February 21, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Government & Politics •
More. Search the internet for Summer White House - 1928.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2012, by Eric Kuntz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,860 times since then and 215 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2012, by Eric Kuntz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on October 17, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.