Franklin, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Recovery and Progress
"No place on earth could have undergone more changes... than Franklin. Our surprise was unbounded as we looked in vain for old and familiar residences and business stands only to
The Norfolk Virginian, August 1874
" A few of the rich had electric lights [in 1906], as the Town had built an electric light plant and was operating a generator in the ninties."
Edward F. Gilliam
Time Line included:
1879 - Obstructions are cleared from the Blackwater to the Neely Mill
1881 - "The Great fire of 1881" destroys most of Franklin
1886 - P.D. Camp and Company buy the Neely sawmill. Vaughan and Company, Franklin's first bank is established
1887 - Camp Manufacturing Company is organized.
1888 - The Atlantic and Danville Railroad is built through Franklin.
1890 - Franklin Male Academy, a private school is established.
1894 - Franklin Female Seminary is organized as a private school.
1898 - The Spanish - American War is declared. Franklin sends men, led by General C.C. Vaughn Jr. to fight in Cuba.
1901 - Franklin Builds a water tank.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 36° 40.469′ N, 76° 55.175′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Virginia. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 258) near South Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin VA 23851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least The Age of Gasoline (here, next to this marker); "Can't Is Not in the Camp's Vocabulary" (here, next to this marker); War Comes to the Blackwater (here, next to this marker); The Age of Steam (here, next to this marker); The Barretts: A Franklin Pioneer Family (here, next to this marker); Confederate Commissary Center (a few steps from this marker); The Blackwater Line (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.