Liberty in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Veterans Service Station
by a group of Patriots and
was named for that principle
for which they so bravely fought.
City Officials 1935
Mayor: Dr. E.J. Bryson
Treas.: C.L. Templeton
J.C. Boggs, Chm
H.A. Davis, Sup.
Chief: J.W. Julian
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1776.
Location. 34° 47.3′ N, 82° 41.35′ W. Marker is in Liberty, South Carolina, in Pickens County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 93) and Southern Street on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty SC 29657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); John C. Calhoun Memorial Highway St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Soldiers Buried in Carmel Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); Golden Creek Mill (approx. 3.6 miles away); Pickensville (approx. 5.2 miles away); Julien D. Wyatt (approx. 5˝ miles away); Colonel Robert Elliott Holcombe (approx. 5.6 miles away); Easley Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Captain Kimberly Hampton (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Also see . . .
1. City of Liberty, SC. Official website of the City of Liberty, S.C. (Submitted on February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Liberty, South Carolina. Liberty is a city in Pickens County, South Carolina, United States. (Submitted on February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. History of the Veterans Service Station
The Veterans Service Station was built in 1935 using local stone from the nearby
A granite monument was erected next to the Veterans Service Station by Dr. E.J. Bryson soon after the building's completion. The monument includes a flagpole, lists the names of the local soldiers who fought in the first World War, and is "Dedicated to Veterans World War". The marker was struck by an automobile and broken in pieces many years ago. The pieces were collected by Mrs. Julia Jean Woodson, who kept the broken monument under a magnolia tree at her home on Main Street. In 2002 a Liberty councilman, Rick Clark, recovered the broken monument pieces from Mrs. Woodson, had them repaired and returned to the Veterans Service Station site.
The building served originally as a Shell Gas station, and continued to be used for that purpose for many years. During the 1990s it served as a restaurant and later a pizza parlor, but soon fell into disrepair. In 2003 it was purchased by Lake and Mountain Country, LLC and completely renovated to reflect as much of its original appearance as possible. The renovation was given a special award for commercial renovation by the Greater Greenville Board of Realtors.
The Liberty Chamber of Commerce used the Veterans Service Station for it headquarters from 2003 until 2005 when the Chamber relocated to the nearby Rosewood Center. The property then became the location of a real estate agency, which operated from August 2006 until July 2009. (Source: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138854328216.)
— Submitted February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.