Daly City in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Where Daly City Started
Near this site from 1868-1907 was the 250 acre San Mateo dairy ranch operated by pioneer resident John Daly, for whom Daly City was named upon incorporation of the city in 1911. Among his philanthropic gestures was the opening of his Daly’s Hill property to refugees of the disastrous 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire.
Erected 1989 by Yerba Buena Chapter, E Clampus Vitus and Crocker Lodge No.454 F.&A.M.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 37° 42.356′ N, 122° 27.728′ W. Marker is in Daly City, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Hillcrest Drive west of Mission Street (California Highway 82), on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted on the front of the Masonic Temple. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 Hillcrest Drive, Daly City CA 94014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Granville House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Broderick – Terry DuelMount Olivet Cemetery Office and Streetcar Line (approx. 1.7 miles away); Colma Historical Museum (approx. 1.7 miles away); Railroad Semaphore Signal (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Colma Railroad Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Old Colma Railroad Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Ground Beneath Your Feet (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Daly City.
Also see . . . The History of Daly City. Daly City webpage:
A detailed history of the area along with vintage photos. Daly City was considered at the time to be "the first shot to the Civil War" following the Broderick - Terry Dual of 1859.
(Submitted on March 29, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,186 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on February 6, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 29, 2010, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.