Near Longwood in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
At the conclusion of the Civil War immigration to the area accelerated, lumbering of the virgin cypress and pine began, and large citrus groves were planted. Regular steamboat travel along the St. Johns River to Sanford was established by the 1850's. The coming of the railroads to the area in the early 1880's connected the port of Sanford with small settlements to the south and the area became a tourist mecca for winter visitors.
By 1887 large hotels welcomed visitors in Sanford, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, and points farther south. Travel time by rail from
Back-to-back freezes in December 1894 and February 1895 destroyed the citrus industry of the region, but by the early part of the 20th century it was flourishing again, as were large celery and vegetable farms, and dairy and cattle industries.
Sanford, founded by Henry S. Sanford in 1870, became the county seat in 1913 when Seminole County was separated from Orange County. During the latter part of the 20th century the agricultural activities gradually began to be replaced by offices, light industry, and home sites for people who continue to find Seminole County an attractive place to work and reside. Both Sanford and Longwood have historic districts which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by the Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1895.
Location. 28° 43.471′ N, 81° 22.413′ W. Marker is near Longwood, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 4 at milepost 96,, 2˝ miles east of State Road 434, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located at the Richey Green Interstate Rest Facility along eastbound I-4. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longwood FL 32750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bartram Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Seminole County (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Senator II (approx. 2.1 miles away); Heroes Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Historic Longwood/E.W. Henck (approx. 2.3 miles away); Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longwood.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Seminole County Historic Marker logo.
Regarding Seminole County. Seminole County became the 50th of Florida's 67 counties on April 25, 1913.
Also see . . .
1. Seminole County page on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
2. Seminole County Government. (Submitted on February 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.