Friant in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1971 by Jim Savage Chapter No. 1852, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 13.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 36° 59.787′ N, 119° 41.854′ W. Marker is in Friant, California, in Fresno County. Marker is on Millerton Road. Marker and courthouse are located near the lake. It can be reached by a short drive north of Millerton Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4614 Millerton Road, Friant CA 93626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the Millerton Area Whose Remains Rest Here (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Washington (approx. 8.4 miles away); Hildreth Stage Robbery (approx. 8.6 miles away); Spring Valley School Academy Methodist Church (approx. 11.4 miles away); Academy (approx. 11.6 miles away); Tarpey Depot (approx. 11.8 miles away); Clovis Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friant.
1. Millerton Marker
"Be it Remembered that Millerton Mining Camp, first county seat of Fresno County, home of the Mariposa Battalion lies due north of this spot beneath the waters of Lake Millerton. We have stepped aside for progress, but we have not forgotten. This Plaque erected by E Clampus Vitus April 22, 1956."
(Plaque located one mile northeast of Friant at reconstructed original Fresno County courthouse. Plaque originally prepared in 1956 by Amatuca Chapter, but emplacement delayed until April 25, 1971 on occasion of dedication of reconstructed Fresno County Courthouse.)
— Submitted February 2, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. This page has been viewed 907 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 13, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Elk Grove, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.