Hitchcock in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Galilee Missionary Baptist Church
In 1902, the congregation was given land and a building for their purposes. The building was moved onto the new church property and served until the church purchased land on North Railroad Avenue and constructed a new building about 1910. The 1932 hurricane severely damaged the sanctuary, but with the help of members and friends in the community, the church was rebuilt.
Over the years, as the congregation grew and ministries were expanded, additional buildings and facilities were constructed to serve the church's needs. Baptisms were held in nearby Highland Creek for the first 50 years. In 1968, the congregation moved to this site.
With strong historical associations to the development of Hitchcock, and with its emphasis on music,
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12707.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 29° 20.665′ N, 94° 59.745′ W. Marker is in Hitchcock, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairwood Road and South Ridgecrest Drive, on the right when traveling north on Fairwood Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6609 Fairwood Road, Hitchcock TX 77563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stringfellow Orchards (approx. 1.4 miles away); Frank Bell Jr. (approx. 2.2 miles away); City of Hitchcock (approx. 2.3 miles away); La Marque (approx. 2˝ miles away); Paul's Union Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Settlement Community (approx. 2.8 miles away); 1887 Frank Sr. and Flavilla Bell House (approx. 2.8 miles away); U.S. Naval Air Station (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hitchcock.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.