La Marque in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A post office opened in 1869, and in 1886, in response to a request from the U.S. Postal Service, a new name was chosen for the settlement. Alternately spelled Lamarque and La Marque, the new name appeared in official records as La Marque by 1900.
The construction of an interurban electric railway line from Galveston to Houston in 1911 led to increased settlement in La Marque. The primary local business was agriculture, particularly dairy farming. Along with homes and businesses, social, education, and religious institutions flourished, as well.
The rise of the petrochemical industry along the bay in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s changed the area's economic base, and La Marque developed as a residential area to serve industrial workers in nearby Texas City. An attempt by Texas City to annex La Marque in 1953 failed,
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7510.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 22.45′ N, 94° 58.293′ W. Marker is in La Marque, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker can be reached from Bayou Road near 1st Street, on the right when traveling north. Located in the parking lot of the La Marque Police Department. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 431 Bayou Road, La Marque TX 77568, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frank Bell Jr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1887 Frank Sr. and Flavilla Bell House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Settlement Community (approx. 0.7 miles away); Paul's Union Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); S.S. Grandcamp Anchor (approx. 3.1 miles away); Texas City Memorial Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stringfellow Orchards (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Marque.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 494 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.