Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bedford Township in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rural Electrification

 
 
Rural Electrification Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, February 15, 2012
1. Rural Electrification Marker
Inscription.  In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Bedford Rural Electric Cooperative, which serves members in Bedford, Fulton and Somerset counties, was incorporated on June 2, 1939.
 
Erected 1989 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1758.
 
Location. 40° 1.023′ N, 78° 29.079′ W. Marker is in Bedford Township, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is at the intersection of East Pitt Street and Clark Building Road, on the right when traveling east on East Pitt Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bedford Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Thomas, Apostle (approx. 0.7 miles away); SE Boundary Original Survey of Bedford
Rural Electrification Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, February 15, 2012
2. Rural Electrification Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.7 miles away); NE Boundary Original Survey of Bedford (approx. Ύ mile away); Lieut. Col. Levin Powell (approx. 0.9 miles away); George Washington Mural (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fraser Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anderson House (approx. 0.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 15, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=52665

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 17, 2022