Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth
Donated to the lodge by Middleton T. Johnson, the site of the lodge once lay outside the city's populated area. The hall sat well beyond the old fort grounds, and even at about four blocks east of the public square it was built on unplatted land outside the city's business district. Although plain in appearance, the red-brick building signified progress and civilization. Its two stories faced west with a bell tower over the main entrance. In 1871,
By 1878, the Masons had outgrown their lodge hall at this site, and they moved to a new building at Second and Main. Lodge No. 148 has continued to be a strong presence in the community, spawning an additional fifteen lodges in Fort Worth.
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13486.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations.
Location. 32° 45.448′ N, 97° 20.067′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West Belknap Street (State Highway 347 Spur) and North Houston Street (Business U.S. 287), on the right when traveling west on West Belknap Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Belknap St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Worth (here, next to this marker); The Site of Camp Worth (here, next to this marker); Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building (a few steps from this marker); Leonard Brothers Department Store (within shouting distance of this marker); First School (within shouting distance of this marker); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tarrant County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Texas Christian University (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.