Chocowinity in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1968 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number B-46.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
Location. 35° 30.802′ N, 77° 6.202′ W. Marker is in Chocowinity, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on State Highway 33 west of Business U.S. 17, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 182 NC Hwy 33 West, Chocowinity NC 27817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lindsay C. Warren (approx. 3.2 miles away); John H. Small (approx. 3.2 miles away); Havens Memorial Building (approx. 3.2 miles away); Siege Of Washington (approx. 3.2 miles USS Picket (approx. 3.2 miles away); Attack On Washington (approx. 3.3 miles away); C. C. Cambreleng (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Regarding Trinity Church. From the Wikipedia entry: In 1939, the church building was moved on log rollers drawn by horses from its original location to a plot of land owned by the parish. The parish hall (built ca 1900) already stood on this site, and the church was placed alongside that building. A two story addition was built in 1949 to provide room for Sunday School, offices, a kitchen, and general purpose space. The historic chapel has remained in continuous use since it was built in 1774.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “In 1773, Nathaniel Blount sailed from Bath, NC to London, England to be ordained a priest. The Bishop of London ordained Mr. Blount to the priesthood in Saint Paul’s Cathedral, London. Upon his return to Bath, ‘Parson Blount,’ as he was known, had a church built. Giles Shute and John Herrington served as carpenters, according to a signed wooden panel in the sanctuary. The little building became known as Blount’s Chapel.” (Submitted on February 18, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.