Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The first Art Deco skyscraper in Fort Worth, the Blackstone Hotel was erected in 1929 for wealthy cattleman C. A. “Gus” O'Keefe, who named it after a visit to the Blackstone Hotel in Chicago. The St. Louis architectural firm of Mauran, Russell, and Crowell designed the structure. The city's first radio station, WBAP, once occupied the 22nd floor. A five-story annex was added in the 1950s by the Hilton Hotel chain, which occupied the building from 1952 to 1962. Featuring original sash windows, irregular setbacks and ornamental terra cotta detailing, the Blackstone Hotel remains the city's tallest pre-world War II structure.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12201.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 32° 45.228′ N, 97° 19.837′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Main St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amon G. Carter, Sr. (1879-1955) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wild Bunch (within shouting distance of this marker); Opera Houses & Theaters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Land Title Building (about 400 feet away); Flying Machines (about 400 feet away); Grand Hotels (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church of Fort Worth (about 600 feet away); Gamblers & Gunfights (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Blackstone Hotel (Fort Worth, Texas). Wikipedia (Submitted on February 19, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 698 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 18, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.