Near Chocowinity in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1952 by Archives, Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number B-17.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 27.39′ N, 77° 3.508′ W. Marker is near Chocowinity, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 33 and Windmill Road (County Road 1124) on State Highway 33. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chocowinity NC 27817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity School (approx. 4˝ miles away); Trinity Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Washington, North Carolina (approx. 5.8 miles away); Siege of Washington (approx. 5.8 miles away); Josephus Daniels (approx. 5.8 miles away); Dr. Susan Dimock (approx. 5.9 miles away); John Gray Blount (approx. 5.9 miles away); DeMille Family (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chocowinity.
Also see . . . North Carolina Fifty-Second Regiment at Washington, N.C. from John H. Robinson's North Carolina Troops 1861-1865. published in 1901. “On the 18th [of March, 1963,] we were again on the march and arrived at Tranter's Creek, about eight miles from Washington, on the 19th, remaining here for a day or two we returned to our camp near Greenville on or about the 23d. Resting there, we received orders on the 28th to be ready to move in one hour. Marching on this day, we reached a point on the Pamlico river, seven miles below the town of Washington, on Sunday, March 29th. Here we erected a heavy earthwork on a bluff on the river bank and called it Fort Hill in honor of General D.H. Hill, who commanded the expedition. The Federal troops occupying the town of Washington were reported to be running short of both ammunition and rations, and Fort Hill was erected for the purpose of commanding the river and preventing communication between the transports and gunboats in the river below and the garrison of the town. Our battery was composed of guns of light calibre, all field pieces and not able to cope with the gunboats in the river below, which gave the fort heavy shellings each day. They were suspicious of us, however, for occasionally two Whitworth guns would be sent down from the battery near the town, and while they were in battery, we would open on them at long range, and on several occasions inflicted considerable damage. When these guns were withdrawn, the gunboats would approach quite near and open on the fort without eliciting any reply. This puzzled them, and they were timid and would not venture the passage of the fort.” (Submitted on February 19, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 19, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of remains of batteries riverside. • Can you help?