Old Tappan in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Haring - DeWolf House
This house was built about 1709 by Cosyn Haring, one of the sixteen Tappan patentees. It is an example of early Dutch Colonial architecture found in the Hackensack valley. This house has never been deeded to anyone, having been in the same family in 1964, for 260 years. It was the birthplace and home of John H. DeWolf, the first mayor of Old Tappan.
by the Tercentenary Committee of Old Tappan
Erected 1964 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 29.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1709.
Location. 41° 1.461′ N, 73° 58.652′ W. Marker is in Old Tappan, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on DeWolf Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 95 DeWolf Road, Westwood NJ 07675, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Teunis Haring House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hickory Hill Cooperative (approx. one mile away in New York); André Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away in New York); Colonial Orangetown (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York); Washington’s Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York); Tappan Historic District (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York); Camp Shanks (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York); a different marker also named Camp Shanks (approx. 1.4 miles away in New York).
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on February 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.