Eagle in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The schools history began with the area's first settler, A.R. Hinkley who gave the land for the first schoolhouse on this site. The original structure was of logs, circa 1846. A second building of frame construction replaced it in 1854, and the present brick school was erected in 1928.
The educational facility served as a kindergarten classroom for the Eagle Elementary School into the 1980s.
Erected 1975 by Waukesha County Historical Society (Marker refurbished in 2011). (Marker Number 07-02.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 42° 54.456′ N, 88° 26.963′ W. Marker is in Eagle, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 59 and Wilton Road, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: W351 S7510 Hwy 59, Eagle WI 53119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cobblestone (approx. 0.6 miles away); Eagle (approx. 2.3 miles away); Genesee Depot (approx. 5.6 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 6.6 miles away); Mukwonago (approx. 6.7 miles away); Saylesville (approx. 7 miles away); Dousman (approx. 7.3 miles away); Heaven City (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle.
Regarding Palestine School. Love, Laugh, & Learn Daycare purchased the daycare from Country Kids in 1999 and is still currently occupying the business as a preschool/daycare
1. Last of it's kind
Ahira Rockwell Hinkley, who came to Waukesha County in 1834, built the first school in the Eagle area in 1846. The one-room log school was named after Palestine Corners, a small settlement at Highways 59 and NN. This constituted Eagle School District No. 1. All eight grades were taught in this one room by a single teacher. In 1854 the first building was replaced by a frame structure and in the 1880s a bell tower was added.
By 1928 a new Brick building with a basement replaced
More space was needed for kindergarten classes in Palmyra-Eagle school district in 1971, so Palestine School was used to house a kindergarten class. This class continued until 1987 when new school space was added in the district.
After being closed for just two years, the Country Kids Day Care purchased the building in 1989 and has been running a day care there ever since.
A historical marker was erected in 1975 at the school, located at W351 S7510 Highway 59, by the Waukesha County Historical Society declaring it a historical landmark.
— Submitted May 31, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,277 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2012, by Laurie Bausch of Eagle, Wisconsin. Photos: 1. submitted on August 11, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on August 11, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 5. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.