Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Cemetery Square

 
 
Cemetery Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Charles Smith, October 23, 2006
1. Cemetery Square Marker
Inscription.  This square was reserved for public use in the city's original survey and became the site of early church buildings. One hundred yards south of this point is a stone marking the site of the first Methodist Church erected in Georgia west of the Oconee River, in 1805. The earliest graves date from this period. Near the church site is a lot containing graves of legislators who died during legislative sessions in Milledgeville. None appear after 1845 when rail transportation became available. Those legislators who died in Milledgeville were: Senators, William W. Baker, Liberty Co., 1826; Nathaniel Bradford, Crawford Co., 1841; Robert Brown, Murray Co., 1838; Jonathan Lewis, Burke Co., 1834; George Galphin Nowlan, Effingham Co., 1816; Alexander M. Sanford, Bryan Co., 1843; James Thompson, Walker Co., 1840; and Representatives, John Bell, Decatur Co., 1827; Jacob Hentz, Baker Co., 1845; Aaron Jones, Lee Co., 1834; McLin Lunday, Screven Co., 1834; James Spalding, McIntosh Co., 1820; and Horatio Webb, Jackson Co., 1840.
 
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-28.)
 
Topics and series.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 33° 4.566′ N, 83° 13.78′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Franklin Street (Bypass Route 441), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memory Hill Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox (about 600 feet away); The Unknown Soldiers of Brown Hospital (about 600 feet away); Carl Vinson • Mary Green Vinson (about 600 feet away); Tomlinson Fort House (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Old Governor's Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 29, 2012, by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 29, 2012, by Charles Smith of Milledgeville, Baldwin Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
May. 31, 2020