Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Bishop Block
Erected - 1887
301-309 East First Street
The building is two story, brick construction with a rectangular floor plan. The style is Romanesque Revival featuring a flat roof with parapet, a street level marquee, a metal cornice, modillion and pilaster capitals and brick fretwork. The windows are divided by Romanesque-style pilasters. There is a low broad Romanesque arch at the main entrance.
The exterior is essentially the same as when it was constructed. Only a small decorative cone-shaped tower roof has been removed and the marquee has been changed.
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Florida - Sanford Historic Preservation Board series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1887.
Location. 28° 48.698′ N, 81° 15.94′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on East First Street east of Palmetto Avenue, on the right when traveling east. The marker is mounted on the building, facing the sidewalk. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 East First Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The E. E. Brady Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Early City Development (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whalers Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The U.S. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peoples Bank Building and Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Meisch Building (about 300 feet away); Sanford & Tucker (about 300 feet away); The Sanford Herald Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Regarding The Bishop Block. The Bishop Block is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.