Starr in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ruhamah United Methodist Church
Dr. William Glenn
The Church in the Wildwood
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1822.
Location. 34° 23.533′ N, 82° 48.85′ W. Marker is in Starr, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on Ruhamah Church Road, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Starr SC 29684, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hartwell Lake (approx. 1.7 miles away); Louie Morris Memorial Bridge (approx. 2.7 miles away in Georgia); Roberts Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Nancy Hart (approx. 6.2 miles away in Georgia); Mountain Creek Baptist Church (approx. 6˝ miles away); Dean / Dean's Station (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Broken V (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia); Hart County World War I Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia); Hart County Veterans of Foreign Wars Monument (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia); Hart County World War II & Korean War Memorial (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Starr.
1. Ruhamah United Methodist Church
In the early days of the nineteenth century camp meetings were a popular form of revivals and they were held not alone by Methodists, but by Baptists and Presbyterians as well. The Methodist churches of Ruhamah and Providence were famous for their camp meetings.
In the southwestern part of the county, two miles from the Savannah River, stands another early Methodist Church, Ruhamah. It was organized in 1823, Mr. William Glenn giving the land upon which it was built. It was dedicated in 1836 by Reverend Levi Garrison, who also named it. The original building stood a little back of, and to the left of the site of the present one, which was erected in 1874. At that time Mr. John F Glenn, son of the original donor, gave an additional half acre of land so that the cemetery might be enlarged. For some years camp meeting were held at Ruhamah also, but in
1849 conference determined that Providence was a more suitable place for those great gatherings, so the change was made. (Source: Traditions & History of Anderson County by Louise Ayer Vandiver.)
— Submitted March 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,139 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7. submitted on May 26, 2015, by Mary Elizabeth Todd of Starr, South Carolina. 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.