Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Sanford Herald Building
Erected - 1910
— 107 South Magnolia Avenue —
The Sanford Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) was chartered on March 7, 1889. The lodge moved from Cypress Avenue to this building in 1933.
Construction is of rusticated concrete block and had the appearance of a small sixteenth century Florentine palazzo. The windows are plain with a cornice. A stringcourse separates the two floors. A flat roof with parapet covers the building. No significant changes have been made to the exterior.
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Florida - Sanford Historic Preservation Board series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 South Magnolia Avenue, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Hill Hardware Building (a few steps from this marker); The Peoples Bank Building and Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Imperial Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Meisch Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whalers Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The U.S. Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Regarding The Sanford Herald Building. The Sanford Herald Building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 5, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.