Grand Island in Hall County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old Dodge School
World War II POW Branch Camp
Old Dodge School served as one of two branch camps in Hall County housing German prisoners of war. On July 9, 1944, Leo B. Stuhr, president of the county Non-Stock Labor Association, announced plans to use the school for this purpose. About one hundred German POWs lived at this site while working in construction and agriculture. The POWs were repatriated to Germany in 1946, and the school briefly served as Grand Island YMCA headquarters before it was demolished in 1948.
Erected 2011 by Hall County Historical Society, Credit Management, and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 490.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 40° 55.363′ N, 98° 20.507′ W. Marker is in Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street (U.S. 30) and Walnut Street, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Island NE 68801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort O. K. Cannon (about 600 feet away); Hall County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Federal Building (about 700 feet away); The Yancey (about 800 feet away); Martin Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Memorial Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Island Public School Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Island.
Also see . . .
1. POWs Work the Fields. (Submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. POW Camps in Nebraska. (Submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. The Branch Camps of POW Camp Atlanta. (Submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on December 17, 2014.