Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The DeForest Building
Erected - 1889
104 East First Street
The Romanesque Revival architectural style, constructed of brick, was originally distinguished by three pier-like projections above the facade. In the 1950's a new facade of stucco was added which gives the building a parapet with pediment screen in the center and piers at the sides. The floor plan is rectangular and the building has a flat roof.
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Florida - Sanford Historic Preservation Board series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East First Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Brumley - Puleston Building (a few steps from this marker); The First National Bank No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Rollins College (within shouting distance of this marker); The First National Bank No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hill Hardware Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Meisch Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Regarding The DeForest Building. The DeForest Building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.