Oldtown in Forsyth County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Memorial Marker 1806
On November 26, 1806, this marker was erected as a memorial to the beginning of the settlement of the Unity of Brethren (Moravians) in Wachovia. It was moved here in 1850, having been placed originally at the site of the first cabin occupied by the Brethren in 1753. The first such historical marker had been erected by the Moravians in 1770.
"Br. Benizien was present and announced that the Helfer Conferenz furs Ganze (Minister's Conference) had decided to place a monument bearing the words 'The 17th November 1753' on the site of the first hut which was occupied by the twelve (sic: 15) Single Brethren when they arrived."
Bethabara Diary, December 10, 1803.
Erected by Historic Bethabara Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1753.
Location. 36° 9.29′ N, 80° 17.81′ W. Marker is in Oldtown, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker is on Bethabara Road, on the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winston Salem NC 27106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wachovia Settlement (here, next to this marker); Gemeinhaus (here, next to this marker); Well 1807 (a few steps from this marker); Gemeinhaus 1788 (a few steps from this marker); Apothecary Shop 1763 (within shouting distance of this marker); Doctor's Laboratory 1759 (within shouting distance of this marker); Distiller's House 1803 (within shouting distance of this marker); Herman Buttner House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oldtown.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The 1806 marker, and marker at the original cabin location.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 12, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.