San Jose in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Calero County Park – Bailey Fellows House
B.R. Bailey, born Kentucky, arrived California in 1850 and probably built the structure in 1867. In 1855, he married Ellen Sparks, a member of the 1848 Lassen Party, in Mountain View. They removed to Tulare County and in 1864 returned to the area with the purchase of their Calero Valley lands of 874 acres. B.R. Bailey predeceased Mrs. E. Bailey who held the property until 1903. Their ranch was sold to the Newman Brothers in 1905 and it became known as the “Newman Ranch”. The Santa Clara Valley Water Conservation District purchased the land in 1935 to construct the Calero Reservoir.
In 1924, Judge Edward Fellow began his law practice in San Jose, having attended the University of Santa Clara. He purchased the 2,000-acre “Calero Rancho” in 1938 where he operated a cattle ranch and farm. In the 1940s Mrs. Triscilla Fellows remodeled the Bailey
Following Judge Fellow’s tragic 1967 death, the family sold the house and stables to the Santa Clara Valley Water District who leased the land and reservoir to Santa Clara County for water-oriented recreation. Since then, additional lands were acquired and a 2003 a grant from the David and Lucille Packard Foundation allowed for an additional acquisition of almost 1000-areas.
Erected 2007 by E Clampus Vitus, Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, Santa Clara County Historical Heritage Comm. and Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 37° 10.495′ N, 121° 45.663′ W. Marker is in San Jose, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on McKean Road. This marker is located in Calero County Park. The road, unnamed, into the park is at approximately 23677 McKean Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Jose CA 95120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Are We There Yet? (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hacienda School (approx. 3 miles away); New Almaden (approx. 3.1 miles away); New Almaden Quicksilver Mine (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hacienda Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Casa Grande (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Hacienda Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Randol Family Home (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Jose.
Also see . . . Historica; and Architectural Evaluation. This historical evaluation prepared for the Santa Clara Valley Water District details the history of the Bailey Fellow House and its historical significance along with history of ownership and families. (Submitted on March 17, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 554 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the Bailey Fellows House • Can you help?