Somerville in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Somerville Borough Hall
The building is the second on this site, preceded by a residence in a similar style that was constructed in the early 1840s for Albert Camman. Upon his death in 1866, the home was purchased by Eugene Doughty. Later, his son Joshua, sold the property to Daniel Robert.
The original structure was replaced by the present one. After Mrs. Robert’s death in 1923, the estate was sold to the Somerville Lodge of Elks. The ballroom they added now houses the Borough Library. The property was acquired by the Borough of Somerville in 1958.
Fires in 1967 and again in 1980 required extensive renovations. However, much of the elaborate original interior remains intact.
David Hollod, Mayor
Erected 1998 by Somerville Historic Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 West End Ave, Somerville NJ 08876, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Daniel Robert House (a few steps from this marker); Furman Frederick Kugler (within shouting distance of this marker); Armed Forces Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fireman's Museum (about 500 feet away); Ruth St. Denis (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion Parsonage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jersey Central Lines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerville.
More about this marker. Marker is on the right pillar of the former gates that were part of the estate. The gas lamps and fence that were likely part of the gate design are long gone.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,294 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.